Saturday, November 2, 2013

A point of view of Tokyo

I found a very interesting article on CNN.

After the accident in 2011, the number of tourists increase in Tokyo. The Japan Tourism office reports said visitors increased 21% between January and August 2013 compared with the last year. The reason of the number may attributed to Tokyo's successful for 2020 Olympics and prime minister Shinzo Abe's accomplishment. Moreover CNN wrote about 11 things to know before you go to Tokyo like "don't tip", " the word about welcome" , and "about clear umbrella".

I am also really happy that many foreigners visit to Tokyo now. I am very curious about the topic of 11 things before you go to Tokyo. I am Japanese but the list of 11 things are very fresh for me to know. For example, "don't tip" it is very rare that we do not have to pay tip for a restaurent or at a hair salon compared with other countries. In my opinion, it is not only the way of gratitude to pay tip to somebody. and then, I suprised that the word " walk right". I have never cared about it before. the article said when people walk on the street, they follow the unspoken rule that staying to the left side. We japanese do not mind about that things but we do very smothly.
Finally I think that the list of things are written is very normal situation for Japanese people but foreign people feel very unusual. If many people come to Tokyo in 2020, we can tell about Japanese rule more.

I have two question for you.

1 have you ever thought about these things before?
2 When you went to foreign countries, did you notice some differences between the country and Japan? or do you know about the things that only we Japanese do.

1 comment:

  1. Every time I visit Kansai, it takes a while to remember to stand on the right side of the escalator.

    ReplyDelete