Monday, November 18, 2013

Qatar migrant workers 'treated like animals'

I found this article on BBC.

Migrant workers who work at the construction sector for Fifa World Cup 2022 in Qatar have received cruel treatment, said a human rights group. They suffer from non-payment of wages, dangerous working conditions and dirty accommodation. Moreover, some of them died because of their hard working.

When I read this article, I got a shock and felt very sad about severe conditions of migrant workers. I was also surprised because those problems happened at a construction site of World Cup stadium. The article shows migrant workers’ terrible working environment that they work 12 hours a day, seven days a week with a low or no salaries, and they are threatened with penalty fines and deportation. I think Qatari government should treat this problem as a serious thing and support those poor workers in various aspects to prevent a human rights violation. I hope the problems are resolved and migrant workers can work with relief.

Questions:
・What do you think such poor working conditions of migrant workers?
・How can we protect ourselves from illegal companies?

No comments:

Post a Comment