Monday, October 21, 2013

School aims to give biracial kids a place to ‘be themselves’



I found the article on children who have a Japanese mother and a foreigner father (especially an American father) in Okinawa on Japan Times.


A special school for mixed children was established by their mothers in Okinawa. Though it provides good education, there are some problems; finance, poor official supports, the range of ability among children and unorganized working environments. Moreover, those children need to take strong Japanese education to live in Japan.

I have never heard any stories that mothers built a school for their children by themselves. Therefore, I was really surprised to read this article, and I thought that managing education by themselves must be effective to learn what they actually require. On the other hand, I also thought that Japanese government or local education committee should back them up. However, as I read the article, I got a little confused about the importance of Japanese education for them. Learning English means learning their background for them, so it would be important. However, they need to acquire Japanese abilities to adapt themselves to Japanese society. 

Now, I want to ask you about mixed children.
Do you think that it is difficult for them to go to the same school with Japanese? Why?
Do you think that children must concentrate Japanese education to work in Japan?

No comments:

Post a Comment