Monday, November 11, 2013

Multilingual translation system for 2020 Olympics

I found this article on JapanTimes.

Japanese internal affairs ministry plans to improve multilingual translation system for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. The system called VoiceTra can translate Japanese messages into 27 languages and read out 17 of them. It is hoped the system can help remove language barriers and make foreign visitors relieved.

I think it is a nice preparation for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics because I expect many people who each speak different languages will come to Japan in 2020, and language is one of the important communication tools. Because of a big earthquake in 2011 and the nuclear disasters, many foreigners may be concerned about the safety and security of Japan. I hope their anxiety will be reduced by development of the translation system. As another my impression of this article, I was surprised that the translation system can not only translate Japanese into another language, but also read the massages aloud. We may hear the voice of VoiceTra throughout our society in 2020!

Questions:
・What do you think about the translation system?
・Have you ever used any translation system? How did you feel?

1 comment:

  1. Wow that's really cool. Wish I could translate English into 27 different languages...

    ReplyDelete