Monday, December 9, 2013

English Teachers and Study Abroad

I read the article on Japan times.

The Tokyo Board of Education announced the program of sending junior or high school teachers to English speaking countries for three months. In Japan where teachers are required to avoid Japanese in the class, this program will bring good experiences to teachers to have a more communicating class in English.

I really like this program. I think one big reason; why Japanese English proficiency is poor is education in this country. No matter how the government try to improve it by increasing the number of classes, it surely doesn't work because the problem is not the quantity of English class, but it is the quality of the class, so to improve the teachers English ability is very effective way to improve Japanese potential English ability. I spent three months studying English in Ireland, which was a great experience for me, and even changed my life. Therefore, three months are also valuable period. In 2010, Tokyo will have Olympic games so English is more required for Japanese than ever. I'm actually afraid that majority of Japanese people become fluent in English because it is one of my strengths for getting a job, but i hope next generation will be able to have a great environment of learning English, and Japan will be more global society.

1 Do you think Japanese English ability will improve a lot with the program?
2 Do you think we can be global human resources only by demanding learning English?

No comments:

Post a Comment