Sunday, December 8, 2013

English Teachers in Japan

I read this article on Japan Times.

There is a plan to raise English level at public schools in Japan, and if its plan goes without any problems, English teachers have to study English and stay in an English-speaking country for three month. This is connected to Tokyo Olympic in 2020 because a weakness in Tokyo is the level of English, so improving English skills is a task in Japan.

My goal is to be an English teacher in junior high school, so if its plan goes well and is accepted, I need to go abroad at least three month. I have never studied abroad, and I do not have chance to go, so I do not want to accept the plan. Of course English level in Japan is poor, so some changes are needed in Japanese education. Especially in junior high school it should be required to improve quality of English classes. I mean it is important to lay the foundation of Japanese English education. To do so, English teachers have to study a lot and have good skills to teach English. After reading the article I got confused.

Questions
1 Do English teachers have to go abroad to study English, or not?
2 What do you think of the level of English in Japan?

No comments:

Post a Comment